Tuesday 10 August 2010

Compression Learning

This is really just the nucleus of an idea I've had while I've been writing for a client, but then that's what this BioBlog is really for - for the ideas and experiments that don't quite yet warrant a full article.

Here I'm thinking of learning and memory. Already I use the sheet technique I devised to remember things which means using shorter and shorter hand as your remember things until you can fit everything you need for your exam or speech onto one page. Here the shorter notes trigger the larger memories you've managed to lay down. This is compressing the ideas to the point where there's less to remember.

I also came up with the theory of compressing our language so that we could 'think faster' and do maths faster as we wouldn't have to sound out the large amount of syllables. I was thinking lately you could even write in this massive short hand and use a programme to translate it back. This form of compression then could be related to memory too - we can remember 7 +/- 2 (meaning dumbasses can remember 5 bits of information and smart-arses can remember 9). 'Chunking' information means that you combine two bits to make one bit so there's less to remember. You can't remember '5,6,2,3,4,5,6,7,2' using short term memory, but you can remember '5,623' '4,567' and '2' (or five thousand and twenty three, four thousand and sixty seven and two). So you could do the same with qualitative data. You could turn 'hey guys I'm going out' into '! gys m going ut' or something similar.

How this would work I'm unsure, you would either just shorten the actual words, or somehow 'chunk' them too to create a whole new language system. This thing has to actually be learnable though and come fairly naturally. Things like 'm' instead of 'I'm' would also be contextual to work (you know it means I'm because of the words surrounding it), so it would have it's own rules. But again these seem to be innate. You could even use a coding system such as '!' to mean greating (choosing vocabulary wouldn't matter in terms of productivity and this language would be universal). This could also be used for computer programmes as a better way for them to communicate.

The question of course is how do you go about learning a language to a point where it's natural in your mind if no one else speeks it and you're inventing it? I wonder which language would be the best base language to start on? I'll get to work on this guys and get back to you when I have it figured. Until then asdajkhfa (translation: keep on thinking of different ways to learn stuff and improve yourself and also have a nice day. I'm eating a banana now).

No comments: